Re: Potato to Woody upgrading method

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 08:07:36AM +0100, Pap Tibor wrote:
> I'm considering to upgrade my Potato system to Woody. I don't have Woody CD
> set yet. The question is whether I upgrade my system through the internet or
> buy it on CD. I've got a 56K/s minutepayed  modem connection only. How much
> data do I have to download during the upgrade process (an average potato
> system)?

The easiest way to figure out how much you'll need to download in order
to upgrade is to go ahead and try to do it.

Change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to testing instead of stable,
do an 'apt-get update', then try 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  It will
calculate dependencies and figure out what to download.  Finally, it
will tell you the total amount it needs to grab from the FTP site and
prompt you if you wish to do it.  If it's too much, you can always say
no, change your /etc/apt/sources.list back to stable, and 'apt-get
update' again.

Alternativley, if you have access to a free high-speed source of
bandwidth, you could look into apt-zip.

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson	<steven@usermail.com>
GnuPG Fingerprint: 0BA5 D915 FBBE AD93 4E58  82E0 FF75 4D26 CE63 4230