CUPS aborts print jobs

I'm running a potato box and I've installed cups_1.1.4 from the woody tree. I
have configured CUPS correctly, meaning I have added an HP LJ 5L printer
locally (parallel) with a ppd generated by foomatic at linuxprinting.org and
I can query its status with the command line utils and thru the web admin
interface.  When I send CUPS a print job, I can see the job in the print
queue, but the job is "aborted." This happens for both small text files, and
postscrpit files as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Stephen