dependency problems when installing apps from original sources

Hi everybody,
I'm trying to install glib 1.2.8 from it's original source file obtained from gnome.org The problem is, that old debian package "libglib1.2" (1.2.7-2) is still present. I tried dpkg -r --force-depends libglib1.2 which removed the old package, but left mess in dependencies and running configuration script for any application depending on glib fails.
How should I remove the old package and link dependencies to the new glib?
How could I set environmet variables such as LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
Thanks for any help  -SCUD