Re: Install problems: X and virtual consoles

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 03:26:04PM -0700, Eric Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't know if this is because of a laptop keyboard or what but since
> my X setup doesn't work I can't do anything after boot.
>
> I try the ctrl-alt-bs to kill the x server and that doesn't work. I also
> try ctrl-alt-f2 etc to get a virtual console so I can kill X and that
> doesn't work.
>
> What is the correct way to boot up to the point where X start. Like boot
> to single user mode or something. What file control the final runlevel?
>
> Eric :-)

Type 'linux single' at the LILO prompt (press Shift to get the
prompt). You'll boot into single user mode. Enter your root password,
and check /etc/init.d for xdm/gdm.

To remove the X/Gnome display manager from your startup scripts, try
'/etc/init.d/xdm' remove (or '/etc/init.d/gdm remove' if you're using
Gnome). Now type 'telinit 2' to bring the system to
runlevel 2. You should be presented with a virtual console, and
Alt-F[1-6] should switch consoles.

When you've sorted out your X problems, check 'man update-rc.d' to
boot your computer into X directly.

Good Luck!

Tiarnan