which C types to use for computing off_t sizes with LFS?

I'm trying to be sure how to do computed offsets larger than 2G.  I looked
at the source for dd, and it multiplies and unsigned long with a size_t
and puts the result in off_t (which is the new wide type if things are
compiled with the new largefile symbols).  I would like to have some idea
why this works though.  Examining the headers, off64_t looks like it is
really a structure consisting of a single array of two long integers, is
the compiler responsible for making this multiplication make sense, or
what?

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."