Re: high load average

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 06:09:41PM +0100, Joris Lambrecht wrote:
> isn't 2.00 more like 2% ? It is US notation where . is a decimal separator.
> Not ?

You have the notation correct, but load average and CPU utilization are not
directly related.  Load average is the average number of processes that are
waiting on system resources over a certain time period; they could be waiting
for CPU, for I/O, or for other resources.  (CPU does tend to be the biggest
bottleneck, though, so a basic rule of thumb is that you usually don't want
load to be much greater than the number of CPUs in the box.  The machine I'm
using starts killing off processes if load exceeds 6 or 7; I wouldn't want to
see it hit 100...)

--
Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"