Re: debian hardware

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Mike Egglestone wrote:

> Hi...
> Is there a web site or somewhere where I can
> find which hardware is compatible with debian 2.2 r2
> I want to buy new servers and new network cards....
> and I don't want to find out that the card isn't supported....
> say... and brand new 3com 905 or something...
> thanks for your help...
>
> Mike

Debian is a Linux distribution using the standard Linux kernels and
XFree86 implementations which contain most of the hardware dependencies
that I can think of. So, if some component works with Linux, then it works
with Debian.

I think your best bet is to search the web concerning the specific
hardware you are concerned about. There is a Hardware HOWTO at
www.linuxdoc.org but it seems to have been last updated in 1999, so that
might not be that useful. In a quick web search on 'Linux hardware' I
found a site 'www.linux.com/hardware' that I hadn't run into before that
seems to have a pretty large list of hardware status, and I'm sure there
are a lot of others. As far video boards are concerned, www.xfree86.org
has a list of the video boards that are supported by XFree86.