downgrade from ximian to debian packages

I would like to cease using the ximian packages and go back the the pure
debian packages.  I thought I could just remove the ximian line in
sources.list and do update/install in dselect.  However, I guess since
the ximian packages still appear to dselect as the newest, it will not
install the debian packages until their version number is higher.  Is
that right?  Is there a way around this?

Thanks.
--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate