Re: Q: How install additional debian cdrom?

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 05:15, Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Glyn Millington wrote:
> > KDE ????
> >
> > The prog you you need is.....   wait for it.......
> >

> > apt-cdrom   !
>
> apt-cdrom add...
>
> No?
>
> But the q is will it read a non-debian cdrom and find the debs in
> the /potato directory?
>
> Jonathan

Your only option is probably to mount the cdrom, and hunt for the
Packages.gz file, say by typing "find /cdrom -name "Packages.gz"

The file in question is the file used by apt-get to do its magick.
Let's take an example from my local file system. The Packages file is

/mirror/http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

The entry for this in my /etc/apt/sources.list is

deb file:/mirror/http.us.debian.org/debian woody main

As you can see the "/dists" and "/binary-i386" is implied in the
sources.list entry.

You can also choose to create your very own Packages file (with or
without the gzip'ping"). The command to do this is dpkg-scanpackages.
RTFM. It's quite easy to do it. Just remember to stash your spanking
new Packages file in a directory layout apt-get is comfortable with,
something like

/foodir/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Packages

And add the corresponding etc/apt/sources.list entry. You can choose
to use the files in the cdrom, but you have to remember to mount it
beforehand, or you can copy them all to your hard drive (KDE isn't
that much of a monster).