Missing /lib/modules/2.2.17 file

In the process of compiling a new kernel, I renamed my /lib/modules/2.2.17
file.  I won't take you along the convoluted process that made me think that
that was a good idea.  Anyway ...

I can't boot up.  I keep getting an endless series of messages that
/lib/modules/2.2.17 can't be accessed because it isn't there.  Is there
anything analogous to Windows' "safe mode" that could get me into the system
just enough to get to /lib/modules/2.2.17-old and change it back?

Boot floppy doesn't work; it just gets me to the same point.  Any
suggestions before I decide to re-install?

Thanks,

Keith