Re: high load average

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 09:37:36PM -0500, MaD dUCK wrote:
> the load average displayed by uptime has been very consistently above
> 2.00 and the output of ps aux has been pretty much the same for the
> past two weeks. no hung jobs. no traffic. the server basically *isn't
> being used*, especially not during the last 1, 5, or 15 minutes. and
> cron isn't running, there are *only* 35 running jobs. why, oh why then
> is it 200% loaded???

Load average is not an indication of how busy the CPU is.  A busy CPU
can *cause* a high load average, but so can other stuff.

In this case, I would guess that the high load is caused by processes
being blocked while waiting for IO routines to complete.  In the ps
output or in top, look for processes in state 'D'.  I suspect you'll
find 2 of them (one was a ppp process visible in the ps output you
posted).  Figure out why they're blocking and you'll be able to do
something to fix it.

noah