Midnight commander undelete?

Greetings,

[Please cc me in replies...  Thank you.]

I erased a file this morning on an ext2fs partition on a potato machine, and
would like to recover it.  So I looked through /var/lib/dpkg/available and
found something promising-looking in mc.  I installed, ran, read the
instructions, and tried to cd /#debug:hdb1 but it kept saying no such file or
directory.  This despite the potato mc package description saying, "This
version comes with undelete for ext2 filesystems compiled in."

The mc "homepage" on gnome.org is totally useless, and everything else (e.g.
the GNU page) points to it.  The GNOME Documentation Project is totally
useless for mc as well, and their maillist archives search function is broken
for mc.

So I searched the debian-user archives, and found a reference to
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.txt.gz but  that howto is
well over a year old and requires a program called "fsgrab" which isn't listed
in potato/Contents-i386.gz.  Oh well.  At least now I think I have a couple of
good inode candidates...

Can anyone help me to properly use mc or any other undelete function?

Thank you very much,

-Adam P.