HPDeskjet692c fails to install

Hi,
I'M a newbie and I almost competely managed to install the 2.2 Distro.
The problem is with the lp device driver module installation.
The printer is a HP Deskjet 692C
Parallel port parameters as displayed by ( vomit ) Win98:
io=0x378
irq=7
I'm following the instruction as by "Installing Debian Potato" by Mark Stone that I find to be more accessible to newbies than the official Install manual.
I tried 2 different parameters for the lp installation:
default parameters ( blank line )
io=0x378 irq=7
I received the following error message:
/lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/lp.o=invalid parameter parm-io
I'm sure the printer is OK because it works fine with Win98
Is there anything I should check in the BIOS concerning the EPP mode?
The strange point is that 1 month ago I installed  the Debian  distro previous to potato ( Iforgot the name and number, maybe 2.1 ) and the printer was detected and at least printing with the command cat filename > /dev/lp0
Thanks in advance for any help I could receive

Jacques in Montreal