Re: Video/sound card

As far as video card goes, I really like my Matrox G400.  The 32MB cards are
still going for over $100, which I think is overpriced. If I were looking at
buying one today, I'd look at either a Radeon or a Geforce2. The support for
the G400 is very very good, so the ease of installation is quite high. I
don't know how hard the other two cards are to install, but I have heard of
people having troubles in both cases.  Before you decide, I'd definately
wander into somplace like #debian on irc.debian.org and ask around for user
experiences with any and all of the cards you might be considering. You
should also perhaps do a Google search and/or look at the installation
instructuions for the cards to get a better idea of how well they're
supported and consequently how easy they are to install.

As far as sound cards go, I have a Trident 4D Wave and think it's an
excellent card. I've heard that Creative Labs has open sourced their drivers
for the SBLive, so the support for those cards might be good now as well ...
you might want to follow the same steps as described above to get a better
idea. If you're just wanting basic audio (wav & CD), I'm sure you could find
an Ensonic AudioPCI somewhere like Ebay (or perhaps even retail) for very
cheap. These cards have a very good sound, as long as you don't want to mess
with MIDI ... but I guess that's what timidity is for. :)

Good Luck.

Sean

--
He was a fiddler, and consequently a rogue.
		-- Jonathon Swift