PPP

I am installing Debian for the first time, on a clean hard disk.  I got through the basic installation OK, and have now reached the APT setup part.  It asks to configure PPP, which I have done, and it then goes off and dials the modem and seemingly connects succesfully.  However, when it then goes to test the connection, nothing appears to happen.  I have set the options to UK, and it asks for FTP or HTTP connections, but neither option appears to do anything - not even flash the TX/RX lights on the modem.  What have I overlooked?
Hope someone can help, as without this bit, I'm a bit stuck really!
Cheers,
Steve.