Re: Potato simple backup strategy?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:38:12AM +0000, Steve.Simons@JDWILLIAMS.CO.UK wrote:
> If I keep my local mirror of installed packages (using 'apt-move sync' and
> dpkg --get-selections > installed.packages) up to date and backed up, and I
> backup my personal data (I'm including /etc, /home and /var/spool here) on
> a regular basis, is it safe to assume that in the event of a major disaster
> all I'd have to do to recover is:
>
> 1. install the base system
> 2. restore the mirrors partition
> 3. dpkg --get-selections < installed.packages
> 4. use 'file: /mirrors/debian' in my sources-list
> 5. apt-get update/upgrade
> 6. restore personal data

Almost.  You lost your configuration stuff (mostly in /etc).  Back that
up, too, and, yeah, it's trivial and is how I've reinstalled a couple
times (and I need to again... /usr is just a tad too small for comfort,
but I'm not really motivated).

> I'm backing up to CD-RW.  Any suggestions and comments gratefully received.
>
> PS. Is the above the longest sentence ever posted here?

No.

> This email and any attachments are confidential. They may
> contain privileged information and are intended for the
> named addressee(s) only. They must not be distributed
> without our consent. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify us immediately and do not disclose, distribute
> or retain this email or any part of it. Unless expressly stated,
> opinions in this email are those of the individual sender
> and not N Brown Group plc or any of its subsidiaries.
> You must take full responsibility for virus checking this
> email and any attachments.
>
> Please note that the content of this email or any of its
> attachments may contain data that falls within the scope
> of the Data Protection Acts and that you must ensure that
> any handling or processing of such data by you is fully
> compliant with the terms and provisions of the Data
> Protection Act 1984 and 1998.
>
> N Brown Group plc. Registered office: 53 Dale Street,
> Manchester, M60 6ES. Registered in England No.814103.

What what an ugly and useless sig.  "Sorry I accidentally gave you
the plans to build a nuke, but I'll now tell you that you can't use that
information and the world is safe."  Is there some lawyer that really
believes the above disclaimer has a meaning?

--
CueCat decoder .signature by Larry Wall:
#!/usr/bin/perl -n