Re: permission denied on .bashrc ??

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 06:53:16AM -0800, Tom Schuetz wrote:
| I reconfigured both ~./bash_profile and ~/.bashrc to work properly, and they do- ls is automatically aliased as --color, etc.
|
| But at login, I still get a '~/.bash_profile: permission denied' error.
|
| When I look at the permissions, I'm listed as the owner. I did these changes as an ordinary user, not as root.

What are the permissions?  Not the owner/group, but the permissions.

Ex :

$ ls -l ~/.bashrc
-rw-r--r--   1 derrick  None         1615 Feb 28 17:02 /home/derrick/.bashrc

These are the permissions.  The owner (me) has read and write
permission while the group (None -- must be due to cygwin) has read
only permission and the rest of the world has read only permission
(probably not a good idea, but it's running on top of winodws, I'm the
only user and it's behind a firewall)

Maybe you don't have read permission, or maybe it wants to execute it?
(I don't think cygwin cares very much about execute permission ;-)

HTH,
-D