DNS Server Setup?

Hello everybody ... I want to set up a DNS server for
users in my office.  I've looked at all the HOWTOs out
there and I couldn't make sense of them.  Let me
explain what I want to set up.

You know like in Windows (or /etc/resolv.conf for us)
when you specify a "Primary DNS Server" ... like so
that when you type in www.yahoo.com the proper page
comes up?  I want to set up one of those types of
machines.  I believe such a server is called a
"resolver" or a "resolving and caching server" or
something ... please correct me if I'm wrong, please.

So, I used dselect to install bind and bind-doc and
stuff ... that was with Progeny.  It didn't work and I
was tired of the way the machine was working so I just
set up Potato and had it set up the machine as a "DNS
Server" (a setup option).

"ps -le | more" (also "ps -le | grep named") show me
that named is up and running.

If I put 127.0.0.1 alone in my /etc/resolv.conf, lynx
will not be able to go to http://www.google.com (with
a known, working DNS server it works just fine, though
... I know this machine can get on a network and
everything). Also, when I specify the IP of this
machine (192.168.10.249) as my "Primary DNS Server" in
Win2k, it won't go to any webpages either.

Now, I know, this is a right-out-of-the-box setup of
bind, but I can't figure out what I need to configure.
 Like what files do I need to configure to make this
work?  Maybe the root servers or something in db.root
are out of date?  I have no idea and it's gotten
pretty frustrating after a week or so.

Any help would be appreciated, folks.  Thanks!

Please CC to christian@wnrg.com

-Christian