Re: Root Password problem

reboot the machine.  When lilo comes up, tap shift.  your prompt should change
to LILO boot:

type linux init=/bin/sh

mount -o remount -o rw /dev/hda1 /    (assuming your partition is hda1, of
course)

passwd

change your password now, it'll tell you it was changed successfully.

and reboot

you'll be all set then =)

This is why you never a) let your boss near the machine b) give him the root
passwords c) leave a console logged in for him to "play with and learn from"

Mike Dresser
sysadmin
Windsor Machine & Stamping