Help, please apt-get update problems

Yesterday I had a happy machine...

I upggaded to testing, and built the 2.4.2 kernel using kernel-package.

Now apt-get update is broken :-(

I have to run it using runsocks, but I am begining to think that has nothig
to do with the problem I am having. I can use runsocks with ftp and lynx
and get good conetstions.

Heres whats going on:

Script started on Tue Feb 27 04:42:29 2001
debian:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
# deb http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/distributions/debian stable main
debian:~# runsocks aptget   -get update
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Err http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
0% [Working]            Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-i386/Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/contrib/binary-i386/Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/contrib/binary-i386/Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/non-free/binary-i386/Packages
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/non-free/binary-i386/Release
  Something wicked happend resolving 'http.us.debian.org/http'
Reading Package Lists... 0%Reading Package Lists... 100%Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 0%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... 50%Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these missing files
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
debian:~#
Script done on Tue Feb 27 04:43:01 2001

	So, it seems to me, that apt-get is magling the names of the sources?

	How can I further troubleshoot/fix this problem?

	i'm stuck on fixing other problems till I get this one straighted out.

	Help, please.
--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.