Compaq Proliant 6500 Install Problems...

Hello All,

  I have a Compaq Proliant 6500 (P11) Server in my lab, and I have
spent the last 3 days trying valiantly to install Debian 2.2 on it,
with no success.  Here is the set of steps that I have taken:

- Perform Compaq System Erase with SmartStart utilities
- Configure SMART 3200 Array Controller for RAID-0
- Boot to Debian 2.2 CD #1 (using kernel 2.2.17)
- Put cpqarray module built from 2.2.17 sources on a floppy
- Execute a shell from dbootstrap, mount floppy, install module
- Proceed Normally with Installation

Everything appears to go fine, until I finally reboot the system.
Then I am told the following:

request_module[block-major-72]: root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 48:02

I installed the root filesystem on the second partition in the RAID
Array (/dev/ida/c0d0p2), since the first partition is the compaq
system utilities.  When I booted back to the rescue CD, and looked at
the device in question, it lists the major/minor number for
/dev/ida/c0d0p2 as 72,2.  I am baffled as to why it can't find the
root filesystem, and also as to why it tries to find the root device
at 48:02 when I see the major/minor number as 72,2 from the rescue
CD.

I have the latest BIOS and SMART 3200 Firmware installed on the
server.  I have looked exhaustively at Compaq's support pages for
Linux, and they have not helped.  Any help or advice on this would be
greatly appreciated.

Please CC me as I am not currently subscribed to the list.

Thanks a lot,

Steve
--
Steve Beitzel