HELP: i need to ping an ipx server

dear all,

this is kind of esoteric, but i'll ask it anyway ...

i'm writing a program to ping a bunch of servers.  it's done, except we have
a bunch of netware machine which know IPX, not IP.   i found an RPM of a
utility named "ipxping".  i converted it into deb (no problems) and installed
the package.

however, i'm getting non-sensical output:

# ipxping 00:00:00:04 00:80:5F:E6:4A:72
bind: Cannot assign requested address

i'm not sure why it wants to bind the requested address.  that's just plain
wierd.  in the README file, the author (who actually ported it from a sun
program) mentions that he wants to hear from people using the program.
unfortunately, he doesn't give an address.  i even ran strings on the binary
and original rpm.  no email address.

so now i'm fresh out of ideas.  can some creative soul tell me how i can see
if a netware system is alive?  i would REALLY appreciate it!

pete