Re: X on a Fujitsu Lifebook 420D

> Hello everybody,
>
> So, here is the story,  A friend gave me his old Lifebook 420D and I
> decided to go with a Debian install on it.  I read up on the difficulties
> some have had getting XFree86 to work on it, and I've used their
> information to the best of my knowledge in getting X to work.
>
> Its a simple problem, but one I should know better to take care of.  When
> I initiate X (startx or xinit) the laptop begins to spew a whole bunch of
> information and attempts to start X.  It craps out shortly and returns the
> following error:
>
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> Some links have pointed me to some possibilities with the font.aliases
> file, but I haven't quite yet ventured there.  I'm wondering if anyone has
> had any similar problems, and if you could hopefully point me along in the
> right direction.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Raf

Either turn on the font server before launching X (don't wory, xfs doesn't
eat much) or, fix your XF86Config file so that is explicitly allows fonts
from the misc family to be accessed directly.

aliasing 'fixed' to a different favorite would still require the new fave
to be on the FontPath declared in XF86Config.  It's also the hard way.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...