Re: 2nd try - Faxgetty, MGetty and data calls

Hi,

> If I dial in from another machine the call is answered as a data call and
> mgetty started but on the machine that I dialled in from I see a line of
> about two dozen characters, most of which appear to be '?', then the cursor
> returns to the beginning of the line, overwrites part of the existing line
> before dropping down one line, printing a few more characters then dropping
> down another line and displays 'NO CARRIER'.  I never get to see a login
> prompt and these tests are costing me a fortune in telephone calls!  It
> doesn't seem to make any difference whatever options I try the result is
> always as described above.

I have never worked with HylaFax, sorry. But the "two dozen characters" you
observed are probably output from pppd, more precisely: LCP requests from
your dialup machine's pppd started by mgetty. Does it contain curly braces
and looks just garbled like "{?[?{{" ?

After 10 or so unsuccessful LCP requests pppd dies and the line is hung up.
Check if mgetty is configured for AutoPPP, see /etc/mgetty/login.config. That
would explain why you never get to the login prompt, I think.

Note:

> 02/23 09:52:33 yS1  mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.21-Jul24
ii  mgetty         1.1.21-3       Smart Modem getty replacement
ii  mgetty-fax     1.1.21-3       Faxing tools for mgetty.
ii  mgetty-viewfax 1.1.21-3       Program for displaying Group-3 Fax files und

That's on my machine, it works for me.

Best wishes,
	Frank

--
ICDM                       _____
Schloßwall 2              |    _|_              Frank Trenkamp