Configuring OpenSSH to not run sshd

Has anyone else noticed that in sid (unstable), when configuring OpenSSH
to not run sshd via debconf ie only using OpenSSH as a client to access
other SSH servers, sshd gets started anyways and is listening on its
default port ?

Just to make sure that I had not given the wrong answer to debconf when
ssh was being configured, I typed:

dpkg-reconfigure ssh

and made sure I specified NO to "Do you want to run the sshd server
?". sshd was still started. The only way to stop sshd was to stop the
daemon manually:

/etc/init.d/ssh stop

I am using ssh-2.5.1p1-1.3 on a sid system.

Is this a bug in ssh or debconf ?

Thanks.

--
Salman Ahmed