Upgrade Problems (Stable->Testing)

Good evening everyone,

  This is my first experience with upgrading from one version to another.
I love the debian apt-get tool; for routine upgrades and keeping my system in
top order with security updates it has been the greatest help.

  The upgrade from "stable" to "testing" has not been fun so far.

  Here's the low-down:  I "upgraded" my Potato 2.2r2 system, running a custom
compiled 2.2.17 kernel, to Woody via "apt-get dist-upgrade" today and I've
been frustrated ever since; seems that in the process of upgrading I "broke" or
otherwise mangled both my X|Gnome and sound configurations (everything else
APPEARS to be working based on Startup and Kill messages when changing between
runlevels i.e. I can still get out to the Internet via lynx and my mail still
flows! :] ).

  Regarding X or Gnome:  I can get to the Gnome login screen and everything
looks fine at that point.  When I type in my user name and password, the
screen flicks off and when it comes back into view I'm still at the Gnome
login screen.  In case it is relevant, my preferred Window Manger is
Enlightenment.  Suggestions?  I'm not well-versed in "X" so I'll need you to
tell me what files I should look for and provide to the forum and I will.
Does this sound like it is an X problem or a Gnome/Enlightenment problem?

  Regarding Sound:  I have an Soundblaster AWE64 that was running fine prior
to the upgrade.  Now, for some reason, there are errors occurring when
the sound modules are loaded.  Loading during boot fails and when I attempt
to load the modules manually I get "unresolved symbol" errors.  Do I need
to recompile my kernel?  It appeared to me that the way modules were handled
changed somewhat between Potato and Woody (I did not remember there being as
many items in /etc/modutils/ as there appear to be now).  Any suggestions?
What additional information do you need to help with troubleshooting?

Help is greatly appreciated,

rob