Problems with tulip driver

 Folks,

   I'm finding it impossible to get networking functional on the
box I've just installed 2.2r2 on.  This is not an exotic setup, and
I've successfully installed several other distros on it at one time
or another, but the Debian install has been a complete wash.

   Why does my NetGear FA-310TX refuse to work with this kernel?
I searched the archives of the mailing lists exhaustively, and I've
found no mention of this problem, but it clearly is not working on
my box.

   I've got an AMD K6-2 350 on an FIC board; the only cards in the
machine are a BT-950 SCSI card, the NetGear card, and an older SB
AWE32 card.  The master disk on the primary controller is an ACER
50X CD, and the master disk on the secondary controller is a CD-RW
drive, a Matsushita 8x4x32.  The box works perfectly with RedHat
6.0 and 6.2, and with Mandrake 7.0.  The hard disk is an IBM 4.3
GB FW-SCSI.

   The boot logs show that the kernel identifies the card as a
"Lite-On 82c168 PNIC" (???), and the interface gets configured
with the proper IP, netmask, etc, but any attempts to send any
data out over the wire fail.

   Any suggestions?

best,
Jim Wiggs