pppd wanted

Hi,
I am trying to set up a network connection between two computers which are
connected with a serial cable (null modem).
One computer is an i386 with 2.4.0, the other is an Macintosh Quadra 610
with 2.2.10, both running stable.
I found an old conversion cable so I can connect apples with rs232 ports.
It works, I have a connection (I can cat a file at one machine, and it
comes out unscrambled on the other).

I do:
pppd -detach crtscts lock 192.168.2.254:192.168.2.1 /dev/ttyS1 19200 noauth

on both computers (and the ip's swapped), as described in the ppp howto.

Both return:
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1

and wait, and after a while they get a LCP timeout sending
Config-Requests.

In the manpage of pppd there is said that crtscts does not work correctly
on macintoshes, but they do not say what will work. I tried other options
like xon/xoff, cdtr/cts, modem, but without succes.

I also tried to set up the ppp0 interface with ifconfig while both
computers are waiting for connection, but also without succes.

Am I forgetting something?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan