Naming Custom Kernels

I have read the kernel-package Readme and it says (I think) to name custom
kernels like this:

make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image

I can do that, but then when I install the kernel and run "uname -a" I get a
name like 2.2.18. How can I identify the kernel as a custom kernel version
once it is installed?

Alternatively, I tried editing the Makefile by adding a letter to the
EXTRAVERSION line, like this:

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 2
SUBLEVEL = 18
EXTRAVERSION =a

This installs modules into /lib/modules/2.2.18a and "uname -a" reports
2.2.18a. I like this method becasue it makes it easier for me to keep
multiple versions of a kernel (and modules) around.

What is EXTRAVERSION for and what problems might I cause? Is EXTRAVERSION
only to be used by the official maintainer, or can it safely be edited by
mere mortals?

--
David Raeker-Jordan
mailto:rkrjrdn@epix.net