RE: How to install a different Xserver

Thanks to all who replied both here and directly.  Still not working.  I've
had a "fun" 4 hours trying to beat this into submission.  SO far I'm
bloodier than the computer!

I know everything *can* work fine since I am using Mandrake-Linux 7.2 in
another partition.

Anyway, here's what I've tried so far.

Ran XF86Config, mouse would not work, but used <tab> and tried fixing
things.
    >> No mouse and no X.

Got the bright idea of running Xconfigure while supplying the values from my
Mandrake XF86Config file
    >> did that and tried (3)

Reran XF86Config using the new XF86Config
    >> Yea, now have a mouse (it need /dev/ttyS0 to work)

Selected the appropriate card and hit [Done]
    >> when it tried to start X, the following error message repeats 9 times
    >> "_X11TranSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111"

When I try "startx" directly a whole bunch of stuff flies by.  Redirected
output to stdout and took a look. The bottom line seems to be this message:
	Fatal server error:
	no screens found

Any pointers as to where to go next?

Did I mess up the base install so bad that I should just reinstall?

If, during an install, my graphics card is "not found", is there a way I can
manually select during the install?

My original install was "simple", should I have done advanced?  I have to
say I was daunted by the prospect of the package select/deselect process.

Thanks,
-rick