libXmu not found

I am trying to install XFree86 3.3.6 on my system running Debian 2.1r2.
When using XF86Config I got no errors throughout the installation
process, and I am almost 100% sure that all of my settings correct. However
when I enter the command 'startx' I get this error:

	xinit: error in loading shared libraries
	libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However I know this file exists in the directory /usr/X11R6/lib as a
symbolic link to libXmu.so.6.1 . What do I need to do so that 'startx'
can find and use this file?

Rob Mosher

p.s. I have read this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0102/msg02800.html
in the mailing list archives and it has been no help.
I have also sent the email to Newbie@XFree86.org , but the only response
I have gotten is from someone who has had the exact same problem. We
would both appreciate your help.