Re: Install (LILO ?) problems!

On Fri Feb 23 23:48:07 2001 Lute Mullenix wrote...

>On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:34:24PM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> 	This seems to have been done by the installer. I booted from the floppy, looked
>> 	at /etc/lilo.conf (which had all the correct settings for my config as dar as I
>> 	can tell), and ran lilo just on general principles.
>>
>> 	I also watched the boot messages, and went back and set the correct disk
>> 	parameters in the BIOS by hand (39813/16/63).
>>
>> 	If I try to boot from the hard disk, I get the following:
>>
>> L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 ............ and it continues till i hit the power
>> switch.
>>
>> More suggestions?
>>

>> --
>> Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
>> Charleston SC.
>>
>Hi,
>
>I know you aren't going to want to hear this, and I'm sure there must be a
>better way. But...
>
>I recently installed Debian 2.2r0 on a 486 I have around here and the exact
>same thing happened to me. I couldn't get any answers that worked, so what I
>ended up doing is going back, and with cfdisk deleted everything from the
>disk, re-partitioned, then re-installed. Since then it's worked fine.
>Originally I installed using partitions I had set up from a SuSE install.
>
>As I said, I'm sure there's a better way, but that's what worked for me.

	Thanks, I thought that might be it, as I had used this drive as a data disk on
	a FreeBSD machine previously.

	However, I did cfdisk, and deleted everything, and reinstalled, same exact
	problem :-(

	Is there a lower level thing, than cfdisk that will overwrite anything that
	moght be in the MBR?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154
Charleston SC.
--
Windows 98: n.
	useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions and