Re: Read-only Servers We Can Snoop Around on for Tips?

Christian Aeschliman wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I've been thinking about a trend I wish existed.  I'm wondering if this
> currently exists at all.  I don't have any friends into Linux, really, and I
> definitely don't know anyone else that I can talk to for free that's into
> Debian.
>
> I wish there was an open Debian box out there somewhere with a login and
> password that was freely available.  That way, you could get on the server,
> look at all the configuration files and special modifications and apply them
> to your own setup.
>
> Let's say that I'm having a little trouble setting up a name server ... or I
> just want to know how others have set theirs up.  I could just hop on one of
> these open servers and look at their whole configuration.  The user wouldn't
> have enough priviliges to rm any files or write or run anything, just the
> ability to read files and list directory contents.
>
> As for a trend, it'd be nice if every distro had a few machines like this
> ... like a Redhat webserver ... or a Mandrake qmail server, etc.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Does it sound like a good idea?  If
> this kind of thing exists, can you please point me in the right direction?
>
> If this kind of thing doesn't really exist, but you think it's interesting,
> would any of you care to make such an account on any of your machines?

     Is this what you're looking for ? I found this at
http://sekt7.org/openroot/about.php3

            However crazy this may sound, Openroot is a computer on my
network, which is a:

                Processor:Pentium 75mhz
                Ram: 48mb
                HD: Maxtor 6gb
                O/S: FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT

            I give the root password out to anyone, so they can (a) learn
the Unix operating system (b) experiment (c) do
            whatever they want, I don't care really.

            How do I login to openroot?
            1. telnet to sekt7.org port 30.
            2. login as openroot with the password Ihatelamers
            3. su to root with the password Gotroot
            If you have any difficulties logging on, either of these
situations could've happened: (a) someone has messed up the
            system, in which you have to wait until it auto-reimages
itself OR (b) it is in the process of auto-reimaging itself.
            Openroot restores itself every hour, which is a process that
takes around ten minutes.

LINUX~~nobody owns it~~everybody can use it~~anybody can improve it