Re: Woody mouse and net are dead

It was the kernel.  I'm running 2.4.1 now and that fixed it.

After I got the system into a known working state (by re-installing from the unofficial Woody CDs) I built a new kernel. I figured out that I have a problem with building 2.2.18pre21 now; I used to be able to build it but no longer can. I built 2.4.1 instead, and net started working perfectly. The version of tulip.c in the 2.4.1 kernel sources is new enough to properly talk to my Linksys LNE100TX.

The USB howto file, version 0.8, contains advice that did NOT work for me! I found a different howto file, and the advice in that file did help me. The file that helped me was here:

http://linuxkb.cheek.com/pages/usb-howto/book1.html

The command that made a working mouse device for me was:

mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

The 0.8 howto has a different command (mknod /dev/usbmouse0 c 180 16) and that did NOT work for me. I believe the numbers "13 63" are correct for my USB mouse; "180 16" didn't do anything for me.

By the way, I am loving 2.4.1; it built with no problems, my net card worked without patching, and my system actually seems faster. I didn't expect the system to really feel faster, but it does. Specifically, Gnome starts up faster than before; that's where I really notice it.