ldap & debian

Well I'm having a heck of a time getting a freshly installed Potato box to
authenticate with an openldap server.

I'm new to this whole ldap thing, is there a guide somewhere to reconfiguring
debian to use ldap for things? All the guides I've found just have a pam.conf
example that I'm not sure how to translate into using with the pam.d setup...
(I tried, for example, taking the lines that started with login in the examples
and addinf them to the login file in pam.d).

pam doesn't seem to produce much debugging inyformation, but it did produce some
lines saying incorrect (or was that insufficient?) credentials.. this is wether
I have it bind as the admin acccount or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be really suprised if there were no debian-specific info out there, given
that the whole debian cluster seems to use ldap for everything.

thanks

as always,
nick
            nick@grawk.net * http://www.fargus.net/nick
    Developer - Systems Engineer - Mad System Guru - MOO Sales
    He picks up scraps of information/He's adept at adaptation
Because for strangers and arrangers/Constant change is here to stay