Re: "Can't open display" problems

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:46:27PM -0500, Trevor Wood wrote:

> I just upgraded from potato to woody and found that I cannot open my
> display for X apps anymore.  My hostname is MEDESIGN, so I used to set my
> DISPLAY environment variable to MEDESIGN:0.  Now I have to set it to :0.0
> to run local X apps.

Note that when you use ssh, do *not* change the DISPLAY environment
variable once connected to the server if you wish to maintain some degree
of security with your connection. Plain X connections are plaintext and
are even vulnerable for hijacking.

> However, this won't work when I try to run an X application from a remote
> ssh connection.

You need to enable X forwarding both on the server and the client. See
/etc/ssh/ssh_config and sshd_config and look for ForwardX11 keyword.

> This sounds like an embarrassingly stupid problem, but how do I fix it?

Nothing embarassing there, your old ssh was propably replaced with OpenSSH
which has more paranoid default configuration. See above for the fix.

Note that on the contrary to the other suggestion you got, make sure that
you *do* have '-nolisten tcp' passed to your X server. There is absolutely
no need to have it enabled if you use ssh for connecting to other hosts.

--
Tommi Komulainen                                 Tommi.Komulainen@iki.fi
GPG 1024D/68388EE6    6FD6 DD79 EB38 BF6F 3533  09C0 04A8 9871 6838 8EE6