Re: ssh doesn't stop prompting for password [SOLVED]

 Ralf> On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:22:53 +0100, Andre Berger wrote:
 >>> '-X' option.  note also that if your .bashrc (or whatever) on the
 >>> remote machine sets the DISPLAY variable, then this won't work.
 >>  So I have to stop a running X server first, then do the ssh
 >> command?

 Ralf> Nope. You can always do the following:

 local> ssh -X remote
 remote> DISPLAY="" xlogo

No, I don't think you can do that.  When you login to the remote
machine with X forwarding enabled, the DISPLAY variable gets set to
something like 'remote:12.0', which points to a 'fake' X server
running on the remote machine (it's actually the ssh daemon) which
forwards the X connection back to your local X server.

If you cleared the DISPLAY variable the client ('xlogo', in this case)
won't know how to contact the X server.

Getting back to the original question: no, you do not have to do
anything special.  If you are running X on the local machine (which I
assume you are), then just login to the remote machine using
'ssh -X remote' and run your X clients.

--

joe