apt-get, dpkg, sources lists and other exciting entities

Hi,

About a week ago one of the reiserfs filing systems on my computer
decided to go pop, and wiped off /var. No backups. So I was pretty
much stumped and have spent the last week reinstalling from my
potato disks.

Last night I finally got my internet connection up and running
properly, and as I'd managed to tar up and save (into a windows
partition) a lot of other stuff (inc /home, /root, /etc), I wanted
to get back up to potato (which I'd been previously tracking). So
my /etc/apt/sources.list file looks like this:

namkas:/home/matthew# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 _Potato_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-3 (20000816)]/ unstable contrib
main non-US/contrib non-US/main non-US/non-free non-free
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 _Potato_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-4 (20000816)]/ unstable contrib
main non-US/contrib non-US/main non-US/non-free non-free
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 _Potato_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-2 (20000816)]/ unstable contrib
main non-US/contrib non-US/main non-US/non-free non-free
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 _Potato_ - Unofficial i386 Binary-1 (20000816)]/ unstable contrib
main non-US/contrib non-US/main non-US/non-free non-free

#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US

deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing contrib main non-free

deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing contrib main non-free
deb http://people.debian.org/~kitame/gnome/release ./

Now the really odd thing is that an awful lot of 'stuff' is missing: I
did an apt-get update, and then an apt-get dist-upgrade and let it get
on with stuff. But flicking through dselect reveals that the whole of
kde is not there, reiserfsprogs, iptables, the perl cdk kit etc and I'm
sure many more are not being listed. Is there something stupidly obvious
here as to why they are not being listed? What do other peoples'
sources.list files look like, and has anyone else come across this?

I'm using mainly woody (?) with a 2.4.1 kernel on a PIII with 128Mb Ram.

Many thanks for any help you could give me.

Matthew