Hiding my 2nd partition?

As I was merrily doing a dist-upgrade this week (and go caught
in the perl mess ;-), I encountered another problem. *Something*
I upgraded this week out of unstable, my bet being lilo, keeps
hiding my second fat partition. My structure is something like
this:

/dev/hda1 NTFS, NT 4.0 SP5
/dev/hda2 FAT16,
... linux partitions ...

No matter what happens, the second partition gets marked as
Hidden FAT16. If I fomat it NTFS, it gets marked Hidden NTFS.
Linux (Kernel 2.4.0) will still mount the partition, and the
data is there, but NT refuses to see it. NT Disk Admin sees as
an 'unknown' parition.

I should mention that this setup worked flawlessly for 3+
months, across multiple invocations of lilo and mounts & usages
of the second partition from both OS's, until this week.

I've tries using fdisk/cfdisk to change the type of the
partition, but it doesn't persist, and I get a 'unable to reread
partition table' message when I write out the table.

Any help?

Chris

=====
If all else fails, cross the streams...