Alsa and 2.4.x on woody [was Re: Any gotchas with kernel 2.4.x and Debian?]

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:19:45PM -0800, Aaron Brashears wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:02:59PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running 2.4.1, too, but I didn't get alsa to build. I used the
> > male-dpkg modules_image method. alsa-source from woody didn't compile,
> > the package from sid had a problem that looked like I needed some newer
> > package management parts. I've asked already on the list (complete with
> > error messages, I could dig that up in the archives if you want), but
> > received no answer. Did you do anything special? Alsa version?
>

> I read through the changelist over on alsa-project.org and noticed
> that one of the changes was to 'support the latest kernels.' I suspect
> you should use the alsa-source from sid since it's in the .5 range,
> whereas woody is still a .4 release.
>
> Luckily, I found a soundcard in another computer that's directly
> supported by the kernel source, so I didn't have to worry about alsa
> with this computer.

I had to compile perl-5.6 and then debconf from sid on my woody box in
order to build the 0.5.10 alsa-driver package with kernel-package. A local
(non-debianed) alsa driver will of course compile and install by hand
just fine.

I did, however, end up downloading the perl-5.6 source just before the
big transition changes, so there might be a little more trouble getting
source for a little while. I ended up getting the perl-transition
package on my sid box at the same time as my woody box was getting
perl-5.6
Hopefully this is now no longer a problem.

-- Ferret