Re: [OT]: UUCP

In article <[🔎] 471B774D9F9BD411B93E00508BB087A644E81B@BE020-EX11>,
Joris Lambrecht  <jlambrec@landis.be> wrote:
>UUCP stands for Unix-to-Unix-CoPy
>
>I've used it nearly 8 yrs ago in a specific situation, even then it was
>considered out-dated.  I figure it's mostly replaced by TCP/IP on all
>devices. From what i remember (did not use it since then) it's easy (what's
>in a word) to set up but only support serial/modem lines, hence is rather
>slow.

Hmm. In fact, UUCP runs fine _over_ TCP/IP. It just needs a transport,
a serial line will do, a TCP connection will do too.

Actually running UUCP over a serial line is probably a lot faster
than running PPP over it and TCP/IP on that.

>NFS is also one of the protocols wich started replacing UUCP back then in
>19993/1994.

NFS relaced UUCP? Hmm. That's like saying the microwave has
replaced the bicycle.

>I must add this has been a real long time and i'm not up-to-speed with
>eventual current UUCP features/implementations but i suggest you take a look
>at it from an historical point of view :-)

UUCP still has it's merits, even today. The only problem is that
people _view_ it as outdated and forget about it. So there's not
much expertise around, unfortunately.

Mike.
--
I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.