Re: annoying modules.dep message

Brian May wrote:

>     Erik>   apparently no. this question keeps popping up, never
>     Erik> answered. I had the same problem and I wasn't even able to
>     Erik> figure out what changes the date on /etc/modules.conf
>
>     Erik>   the problem usually goes away after some time. have no
>     Erik> idea why it goes away.
>
>     Erik>   depmod -a does not help, even depmod -a in boot scripts
>     Erik> does not help.  at some point during boot process the last
>     Erik> modified data of /etc/modules.conf changes to current date,
>     Erik> but there's no reason for the file to be modified... I went
>     Erik> through start up scripts and wasn't able to figure out why
>     Erik> it's modified, there's no call to update-modules there...
>
> (You look at modules.conf - what about modules.dep?)
>
> Note that "depmod -a" (S20modutils) is run in the boot process
> *before* S50hwclock.sh. At least on potato.
>
> I have heard that this might cause problems, if the kernel doesn't set
> the system clock correctly, and requires S50hwclock.sh to execute in
> order to fix the problem.
>
> Or something like that...
>
> Suggestion: put a line with "date" in /etc/init.d/modutils so you can
> see what the system thinks the date is when it gets to that point.
>
> Alternative: Immediately after boot, look at the date of the date of
> the generated modules.dep file. Is it correct?

  I did something like that, I don't remember each step but the result
was that the /etc/modules.conf was indeed newer then modules.dep

  the date of modules.dep seemed reasonable but the /etc/modules.conf
was even few seconds newer and I was not able to find out who updates
/etc/modules (well, it's problaby update-modules but I couldn't find
where it was called AFTER depmod -a was called), I have put quite a few
debugging echos in startup scripts (printing date and date of the
modules.conf and modules.dep).

  is it possible that:

  update-modules is called at xx:30
  hwclock is updated: time is now xx:28
  depmod -a is called at xx:29

  modules.conf is therefore newer than modules.dep - that's about the
only scenario I can imagine. However you said that depmod -a is run
before hw clock setting... (I haven't checked that)

	erik