can't exec some CGI scripts

I am using Apache 1.3.17 (compiled from source) on Debian Woody.  When I
try to exec some CGI scripts, by typeing in the URL, ex.
http://www.cybergeek.org/cgi-bin/newspro/newspro.cgi, I get an an
Internal Server Error with the following error in Apache's error log:

[Tue Feb 20 08:55:23 2001] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
/home/www/cgi-bin/newspro/newspro.cgi failed

[Tue Feb 20 08:55:23 2001] [error] [client (ip address)] Premature end
of script headers: /home/www/cgi-bin/newspro/newspro.cgi

I have made sure that the path to Perl is correct in the scripts and
that the correct permissions are set.  I also made sure that my
ScripAlias directory was correct.  I can run other scripts, like the
test-cgi script and the printenv script, but not any others.  Also if I
add a (-w) to the Perl statement at the begginning of the script, i.e.
#!/usr/bin/perl -w  then the script will run, but a whole lot of
debugging information fills up the error logs.  I have scoured the
maillist archives for any solution, but came up empty handed.  Any help
would be appreciated.