Re: after 'su -', 'Can't open display'

Martin,

Thank you for your suggestion ...

> Hi,
>
> By default the Xserver doesn't listen to the tcp port (for security
> reasons) and I'll guess thats the reason for your problem. I've added the
> following few lines to the /root/.bashrc file:
>
>    if [ ! "$LOGNAME" = "root" ] ; then
>         export XAUTHORITY=/home/$LOGNAME/.Xauthority
>    fi
>
> This works for me.

... but it didn't work for me.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I don't really understand what this will
achieve.
If I execute 'su -', then $LOGNAME in the child bash shell will be 'root', the
expression '[ ! "$LOGNAME = "root ]' will evaluate to false, and so nothing will

happen, as far as I can see.   So I don't see what difference it makes in my
situation.

I appreciate your help, nevertheless, so thanks all the same.

regards,

James