Re: newbie: apt->x11 only?

> I would like to get only xfree86 4.0 (out of woody, presumably), but
> don't want to deal with all of woody updates - what's the easiest way?

> i tried getting sources.list to point only to pool/../xfree, and such,
> without success

> i also tried loading all 'testing' into dselect but couldn't get it to
> not update a lot of things, even with 'Directly requested' mode.
>
> thanks for help!

You don't need to point to the "pool" entries directly. (Is it even possible?)
My sources.list looks like:

deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian-non-US potato non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
deb 	http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/distributions/debian unstable main
deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian-non-US woody non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
# deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
# deb	ftp://ftp.no.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable  non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free
deb	ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security  potato/updates main contrib non-free

You see I use ximian (helix) GNOME.
The potato entries aren't really needed as I run woody (testing). I also use parts of unstable at times but those two lines are normally commented out.

I see you normally want to use potato (stable) but need parts of woody (testing). A wise choice for a debian rookie, perhaps. (Many of us like to take the newer software and minor trouble with woody, though.)

What I would want to do:
Put the entries of woody (unstable) into your sources.list (but replace with your closest mirror).
Acting as root (sudo is fine), update your packet list in dselect (and apt-get). Pick select to see the updated packet list. Use the list to see which packets you want installed from woody. *Dont* use dselect to actually install the packages though, as this would upgrade your whole distribution. You might browse the list as your own (non-root) user if that makes you feel safer.
Use apt-get install to install the packages you need from woody. This will install (or upgrade) the packages you want to get installed, and also those packages they depend upon. If there are any doubts, it will ask if you want to do it or not.
For example, using sudo to make you act as root:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xfree86
Or, having logged in as root:
apt-get install xfree86-common

Hope this helps.