Re: Help: AMD k7

I recently installed a new board and an AMD Duron (750 MHz).
Could not get it to boot because the chipset required me to
use an ATA100 compatable IDE driver. I booted with a compatable
floppy, compiled a new kernel, installed it, then was OK.

redgirl <redgirl@iprimus.com.au> wrote:
: Hello,

: I had debian potato working with an pentium processor, but a combinatiuon of upgrading hardware and a 'helping friend' uninstalling most of the system convinced me to restart the install from scratch.

: The new system:
: Athlon k7 pro
: gigabyte k7 series mobo
: ordinary ide drives and gfx card

: Problem:
: On booting with the install CD, I get the regular messages until ncr53c406a: no available ports found.
: Then the system freezes, ctrl-alt-del doens't work.

: I know that ncr is a scsi device, but I doubt very much that the problem lies here because I haven't had scsi devices, ever. This is just the point at which the boot process fails, and reliably so. Ive tried no-scsi boot options, but no luck.

: If anyone has suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

: Thanks!

--
*  For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*  that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *