Re: Urk! apt wants to uninstall my entire system!

Gavin Hamill wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I did an apt-get update today on my alpha 'unstable' system and nearly
> required new trousers this morning when I almost pressed 'Y' to this
> little lot...
>
> macha:/home/gdh/# apt-get dist-upgrade
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Calculating Upgrade... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   adduser analog apache apache-common autoconf automake build-essential
> courier-imap cvs-buildpackage
...[snip]...

You're using unstable aren't you?  Perl 5.6 is going through a package
rearrangement, so most of these packages are going to have to be
recreated with the new structure in mind.  If I were you, I'd point
back to testing or stable until some of the major bugs with the new
Perl structure get worked out.  Otherwise, you need to learn how to
'hack' a bit more and get your hands dirty; be willing to break your
system.

Incidentally, when you do 'dist-upgrade' on unstable, you're simply
ASKING for trouble.  At the most, would only run the following in a
cron job:

	apt-get upgrade -yud

Do not upgrade automatically, but do download the packages for a
supervised upgrade at a later date and time.

The only branch I would trust unattended upgrades/dist-upgrades to
would be the stable and security sources, and you should never have to
do a dist-upgrade on stable.

--
^chewie