Re: grep and memory problems with kernel 2.4.1

David B. Harris <dbarclay10@yahoo.ca> writes:

> # i do  cd /
> #
> # grep -r hallo *
> #
> # und then cames a memory enhausted and the network is down.
>
> Well, since you're specifying -r, it's going recursively through
> subdirectories ... I don't know for sure, but maybe it's running into
> some problems with some of the devices in /dev? :)

Yes, /dev/zero for example.

I guess your system is running out of memory, because you don't have
set up user limits? By specyfing limits you can decide how much memory
(, processes, number of open files, cpu time, etc...) a user is
allowed to use. You can specify these limits in
/etc/security/limits.conf; don't forget to active this feature in
/etc/pam.d/login (and /etc/pam.d/su?).
Btw: you can get information about your current limits via 'ulimit -a'.

        hth,
	moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://www.chaosdorf.de/moritz/