Re: WYSIWYG HTML Editor was Re: Rebooting is foolish ....

>   From: Steve <steve@hayseeds.dynip.com>
>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Richard  Taylor wrote:
>
>> >Nothing in opensource is going to be close to DreamWeaver of course -yet
>> >anyways.
>>
>> That depends on whether you hand write your code or let a
>> wysiwyg editor approximate it for you.
>>
>> Most pros will tell you that the only proper code is hand
>> written.
>>
>> Dreamweaver does do a nice job when it comes to working
>> up sketches. Then you have to go back and put things together
>> correctly.
>
>Nada, a lot of pros use Dreamweaver as it's very good with code and server

 "Nothing"?

>side stuff, guess you haven't used UltraDev eh? ;)

 Dreamweaver makes messes. Redundant tags, nonsense, etc... It builds
 thing the way it has to which is not always the best way of doing
 things. this is why most new editors on the windows side use the sort
 of interface that Arachnophilia and Homesite use... a text screen and
 a preview.

 The are much more efficient ways of handling site functions like
 synchronization ftp, etc. You're not going to try to tell me that
 Dreamweaver's FTP program is even decent, much less "good," are you?

>I'm not involved in doing html stuff myself, I'm the sys admin, but the
>company I work for has a division that does fortune 500 co's web sites and
>they do use Dreamweaver Ultra Dev extensively. I don't think you'll find
>many people hand coding a 500+ page website. ;)

 Why not? With copy and paste I can do that many basic pages in just
 a few minutes. With search and replace and decent text tools I can
 make the necessary revisions in not all that much longer. This is
 basically text we're talking.. there are many ways to manipulate it
 quickly. If you're talking anything reasonably complex... people
 are going to want to spend enough time on it to get it right...
 coding time is going to be the least of it. 500 pages with no
 content is pretty useless... ya know.

 With a program like a pre-processor that writes things the way I
 want them written, at least I have the assurance that things will
 be done my way if not the proper way. Generally, they're one and
 the same.