apt-get stuck

Hello everyone,

I'm running potato with a smattering of woody packages.  I recently
tried to install the game "powermanga" from unstable using apt-get.  It
failed to install, here is the output (sorry, it's long):

debian:/home/dave# apt-get install powermanga
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  powermanga-data
  powermanga-data
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 584 not
upgraded.
9 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/6554kB of archives. After unpacking 17.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Selecting previously deselected package powermanga-data.
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `powermanga' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.
86921 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking powermanga-data (from .../powermanga-data_0.71c-6_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package powermanga.
Preparing to replace powermanga 0.71c-6 (using
.../powermanga_0.71c-6_i386.deb)
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: dpkg-statoverride: command not found
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: dpkg-statoverride: command not found
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/powermanga_0.71c-6_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 127
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: dpkg-statoverride: command not found
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: dpkg-statoverride: command not found
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
 /var/cache/apt/archives/powermanga_0.71c-6_i386.deb

OK, trying to remove it produces the following:

debian:/home/dave# apt-get remove powermanga
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  powermanga powermanga-data
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 584 not
upgraded.
10 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 16.9MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ...
dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package `powermanga' missing,
assuming package has no files currently installed.
87310 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing powermanga-data ...
dpkg: error processing powermanga (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 powermanga

The problem is that if I try to install *any* other program using
apt-get it first tries to install powermanga and ends in failure (as
above) and so will not allow me to install any other programs.  This is
a real problem.

So my question is how do I tell apt-get to completely forget about
powermanga so that I can get back to installing other packages?

Thanks,
David Bellows